logo

Go Back   4x4 Community Forum > General Category > Vehicle & Technical Chat > Land Rover

4x4Community

Land Rover Go Beyond! The best 4x4xfar!

Old 13-11-12, 09:05 AM

Default Dual Battery System

I would like to install a dual battery system (Disco 3 - the type that fits in the engine compartment) and having searched the forum I saw that BRS are recommended but their contact number does not work and I cannot find any other number for them. Do they still exist? Is their anyone else that members can recommend?
Old 13-11-12, 09:46 AM

See here

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...illary+battery

EGR blanked, Decatted,Bull bar, Warn M 8000 winch, front tow hitch, FR rear tow hitch,Dual battery system with BH plugs,Centre mounted Engel Fridge, Thomas compressor,Mudflaps, DE Suspension rods,29MHZ radio.

Old 13-11-12, 09:55 AM

I had a CTEK DC-DC dual battery system fitted by Frontrunner. So far so good.

Discovery 2 V8 XS
Range Rover 5.0 V8 S/C Vogue

Old 13-11-12, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PieterV View Post
I had a CTEK DC-DC dual battery system fitted by Frontrunner. So far so good.
Is this in your engine compartment?
Old 13-11-12, 02:01 PM

There is space for a 70 (or is it 75 Ah?) battery in the engine compartment of the D3. The DC-DC charger is fiitted in same area as well. Frontrunner fitted my friend's recently. Very neet fit.

Forgot to mention. You can get the Dc - Dc Ctek dual charger from George Bosch (forum member). He gives a discount to forum members and you can then get the guys such as frontrunner to fit the lot.

Last edited by Cobus Gouws; 13-11-12 at 02:04 PM. Reason: added info
Old 13-11-12, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonH View Post
Is this in your engine compartment?
Yes, 2nd battery + DC-DC charger in the engine bay. Battery on the left hand side in the D4 (mine) and right hand side in the D3 as far as I know.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic82001.html

Discovery 2 V8 XS

Last edited by PieterV; 13-11-12 at 02:30 PM.
Old 13-11-12, 02:57 PM

Default Dual battery system

I fitted a Gensyz V20P which works fantastically and is very easy to fit - comes complete with everything and has a nice display unit.

See attached
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Genesyz V20P owners manual 2007.pdf (2.19 MB, 605 views)
Old 13-11-12, 03:00 PM

Hi PieterV

Do you know if Land Rover have any warranty issues with the CTek DC to DC charger ?
Old 13-11-12, 04:19 PM

I did not check with Land Rover, but it is the same as with any modification to my knowledge. No problem for them as far as nothing goes wrong with anything related to the modification. That is why I like the CTEK system - you do not cut "into" the Discovery's electrical system as with the older isolator systems. The DC-DC charger is simply fed from the vehicle's 12V supply, nearly as if it was plugged into a lighter socket in the load area. I will not fit any other type of system for this reason.
Land Rover did see the modification when they fitted spot lights, and did not comment on the dual battery. By the way, the battery is 75AH deep cycle with Hella plugs in the load area. They can also fit a Brad Harrison plug near the tow hitch to power a trailer, but I am not sure I will ever do that. It is probably better to put a DC-DC charger in the trailer.

Discovery 2 V8 XS

Last edited by PieterV; 13-11-12 at 04:22 PM.
Old 13-11-12, 04:32 PM

Thanks. I am looking into putting one of the new lead crystal batteries into my D4, and I believe you only get their full potential with a DC-Dc charger, hence my interest in your post. Do you have a battery monitor as well to keep a check on the state of charge of your 2 batteries ? Also, can you let me know what you paid for getting the system installed.
Cheers
Old 13-11-12, 04:40 PM

No isolator and no battery monitor in my install. Frontrunner offered to install a battery monitor but I declined. An isolator is not needed for checking the battery status with this setup as far as I know - but maybe a CTEK expert can comment on that. I do not want an isolator since it is a single point of failure in the electrical system.

I am travelling at the moment and do not remember the exact price, but it is in the range of R3000 (CTEK)+1500 (Battery)+500 (battery bracket)+1000 (Install+materials)

Discovery 2 V8 XS

Last edited by PieterV; 13-11-12 at 04:43 PM.
Old 13-11-12, 04:42 PM

Jissie, boys, wat se gesukkel met julle.

To do an aux battery in a D3 is the easiest of any vehicle on the market, the "Engelse" all ready gave you a battery box plus a neat space for the dc-dc charger,o yes and a grounding nut "so maklik kan dit sekerlik nie meer wees nie."

The only thing you got to get is 80a/h deep cycle battery with the correct height, fit the Ctek in the space run the wiring all along the firewall to the main supply.

Get good cable run it to the back via the chassis into a Anderson plug and also a cigarette or hella plug into the rear , "maklik soos 123"

Look at the post http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...illary+battery

D4 , a different story, you need to put the battery at the back, some guys even charge it from the white plugs wiring.

EGR blanked, Decatted,Bull bar, Warn M 8000 winch, front tow hitch, FR rear tow hitch,Dual battery system with BH plugs,Centre mounted Engel Fridge, Thomas compressor,Mudflaps, DE Suspension rods,29MHZ radio.

Old 13-11-12, 04:45 PM

Nope Koos! D4 2nd battery also in front - in the space in front of the main battery where D3 guys install the compressor

Hier is fotos: http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic82001.html

Discovery 2 V8 XS

Old 13-11-12, 07:18 PM

Thanks for all the useful info guys. Next question - how exactly does the dual system work. I arrive at my campsite and turn vehicle off (50L waeco fridge in the boot) From what I have been told the 75Ah battery should last in the region of 1-1,5 days depending on temps etc. What happens when it goes flat? Does the system cut out preventing draining of main battery? Once this has happened how long does it take to recharge battery once vehicle running again?
Old 13-11-12, 07:27 PM

Good question. Yes, main battery is not discharged. How long to recharge from flat - I do not know, it has not happened to me yet. We usually drive the car everyday.

Discovery 2 V8 XS

Old 13-11-12, 08:27 PM

Yes Pieter I have seen that before, this is where I have my compressor .

But what I meant on a D4 the battery does not fit into the battery box, but after warranty expires some guys move the ECU to under the ABS and fit the battery the same place as in D3

If you use a CTEK, you dont have to isolate the primary bat. the CTEK does it.

I can camp for 10 days using the Aux battery only for the Engel , but I also drive everyday on a gamedrive, never run out of charge, the CTEK charges the battery to full everyday.

O yes nearly forgot , like in Pieter" pics put fuses near bat and at the rear.

Old 13-11-12, 10:54 PM

The D3 has one of the best alternator and regulator. With the D250 you will limit your charge to the 2nd battery to 20A. Without it, but using a suitable battery isolator and cables, you can get more than 30A and a charge voltage of 14.4V. You choose.

The 'smart charger' function of the D250 on a vehicle is debatable. Would you pay good money for a smart charger only to turn it on and off regularly, rarely letting it finish its charge cycle, as would be the case in a vehicle?

The D250 really becomes viable if you combine it with a solar panel, as it is a good MPPT controller and if you leave it to charge all day, it can be effective.

Otherwise, spend about R800 and fit an intelligent isolator/combiner like the Cyrix i.

Old 14-11-12, 11:58 AM

I was qouted R5500 for dual battery on my Hilux, that includes the Deep Cycle 105 amp battery.

Sjoe!!

If I buy everything myself, and do it myself, it surely cant cost R5500?? Or does it??

Just feels wrong to pay R6000 for Fridge/freezer, and pay another R5500 to power it.
Old 14-11-12, 12:52 PM

My thoughts exactly, battery and Nl cost me r2700 excluding cabling. In D3 work great.

Do your BEST 2 Be Prepared 4 Service

Old 15-11-12, 01:35 PM

"The 'smart charger' function of the D250 on a vehicle is debatable. Would you pay good money for a smart charger only to turn it on and off regularly, rarely letting it finish its charge cycle, as would be the case in a vehicle?"

The above highlighted is unfortunatley the case for all dual battery systems charging of the alternator. At least the DC-DC Ctek dual-S gives you a good 20A charge rate whilst driving, combined with the other benefits of a multi step intellegant charger, which the experts will tell you (and my experience) is much better than the conventional alternator-to-battery dual charging systems. Especially if you have a deep cycle battery. And agreed, if this setup is used in combination with a solar panel, you have a very good system. Apparently the DC-DC charger will always utilise the best voltage supply and where your solar panel is in operation while you drive, the system might even choose teh solarpanel's charge above the alternator since most alternators are limited to +/- 14.2 V and most solar panels without voltage regulator (which is not required in this setup) will provide more than the alternator voltage. I know this is theory as when driving you won't always have optimum charge from solar panel due to position relation to sun, etc. but quite possible. Anyhow, interesting to know.

I had a conventional dual battery system for years which did it's job OK but now-and-then struggled to keep the fridge going when not driving enough so replaced it with the DC-DC dual S and I wish I've done it earlier. Next step - add the solar panel !